Cloud Automation Engineer Resume Storytelling Example
What was the problem and what were the challenges?
We were preparing the environment for the implementation of a new data platform. First, we needed to automate actions performed on servers which required root/elevated access and also decrease the number of people that use elevated access directly to application servers.
As part of this effort, we also needed to automate the manual actions of Cloudera database users through API calls using Ansible Tower.
What was your role? What was produced and delivered?
This initiative had 2 deliverables.
I helped the Application Teams, working on the discovery phase and deployment phase. We prioritized Ansible playbooks and TAAS with specific powerbroker functionality to all application AIT servers.
I created an operational playbook that would be used. It could work for Linux operational commands so if they needed to do a manual action on the Linux command line, they could use my operational playbook which was very versatile cause all I needed to do was fill in the specific variables.
One issue that I encountered was Applications that run on Windows servers. Ansible runs well on Linux but has a limited number of actions that run on windows servers. For Windows applications that were very complex, I came up with the solution to use PowerShell.
The next project I worked in is Cloudera Data Hub (CDH). CDH delivers the core elements of Hadoop — scalable storage and distributed computing along with a Web based user interface. CDH is Apache-license open source and is the only Hadoop solution to offer unified batch processing, interactive SQL, and interactive search, and role-based access controls. Similar to the CDO Ansible Automation Team.
The CDH team needed to automate the manual actions of Cloudera database users through API calls using Ansible Tower. The Cloudera database on the bank is massive and I was able to automate that infrastructure until CDP (Cloudera data platform) is integrated in the Bank.
Who got value from the solution?
This work was in support the Chief Data Officer’s strategic plan for a new data platform. The company was executing a new data strategy and all of this work was part of that. The CDO was new to the company and data related projects were being given priority.
Revised Version With Storytelling
This story really has 2 parts – laying the foundation for a strategically important data platform and utilizing automation to simply its management. It is important to note that the Chief Data Officer was driving this effort.
- Supported a Chief Data Officer’s strategic initiative, contributing to a team effort to build an enterprise data platform to enable the organization to derive more value from its data assets.
- Utilized automation to reduce the management complexity of applications accessing infrastructure capabilities and interacting through services.
- Worked on both the discovery phase, and the deployment phase which included Ansible playbooks and TaaS with specific powerbroker functionality to all application AIT servers.
- Solely created a very versatile operational playbook for Linux commands and resolved Windows application compatibility problems.
- Automated the manual actions of Cloudera database users through API calls using Ansible Tower, a large-scale interim solution until the Cloudera Data platform (CDP) is fully integrated.